Wednesday 19 February 2014

Expressions with POINT



There are many idioms and expressions in English which use the word ‘point’. Here’s a selection:                                                                                      
AT SOME POINT: it simply means ‘some time‘.
I’ll come around at some point this week

TO GET TO THE POINT: When you ask someone ‘to get to the point’, you want to know what their intention / objective is.
I don’t have time to waste, can you get to the point, please?

TO POINT something OUT TO someone: If you point something out, you want to draw someone’s attention to it.
He pointed this problem out to me the other day.

THERE BE NO POINT IN DOING SOMETHING / NOT TO SEE THE POINT IN DOING SOMETHING: Both expressions have the same meaning.
There is no point in talking to Karen, she never listens.
 I don’t see the point in talking to Karen, she never listens.

UP TO SOME/ A POINT: This expression puts a limit to what is being said:
You can follow other people’s advice up to some point. 
That’s true up to a point

TO MAKE A POINT & HAVE A POINT & TO GET SOMEONE’S POINT & TO SEE SOMEONE’S POINT & MY POINT ISThese idioms are used when discussing opinions.
  • To GIVE your opinion you could start by saying ‘My / The point is…
The point I want to make is ..
  •  When discussing someone else’s opinion, you could say I get your point’ / I see your point / I see the point you want to make / You have a point! / That’s a good point! ‘  to mean that you UNDERSTAND the other person’s view on something.
  •   While, if you DON’T understand the other person’s opinion, you could say
I’m sorry but…
I don’t see your point
I don’t see the point you want to make
I don’t get your point

Note: all the above expressions are followed by the preposition ‘IN’ plus the gerund (-ING):
 
I don’t see your point in saying that people should mind their own business

TO MAKE A POINT OF DOING SOMETHING: If ‘you make a point of doing something’, you make sure you’re able to do it.
 I always make a point of watching the news. I want to know what’s going on in the world.


                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                              Adapted from Teach, Taught 


No comments:

Post a Comment