Saturday 7 September 2013

TO or FOR?

Some tips for my elementary students, who are always confused with this topic.  Here are some rules:

Use TO in these cases:

  1. Destination:                        “We’re going to New York.”
  2. What time it is:                   “It’s a quarter to 5.”
  3. Distance:                            “It’s about two miles from my house to the university.”
  4. Comparing:                        “I prefer sleeping to working.”
  5. Giving:                                “I gave the book to my brother.”
  6. Motive/Reason(with verb):“I came here to see you.”

Use FOR in these cases:

  1. Benefits:                                         “Fruit is good for your digestion.”
  2. Period of time:                              “We’ve lived here for 8 years.”
  3. Schedule:                                      “I made an appointment for December 6.”
  4. Agree with:                                    “Are you for or against the development of nuclear weapons?”
  5. Doing something to help someone: “Could you carry these bags for me?”
  6. Motive/Reason(with noun):          “Let’s go out for a drink.”
  7. Function – with verb (-ing form): “A ladle is a big spoon used for serving soup.”

- As you can see in 6, TO or FOR can be used for a motive/reason, but TO is always with a verb, and FOR is always with a noun. Here’s a good example:
  • I came to New York to work.
  • I came to New York for a new job.


No comments:

Post a Comment